If you roller skate regularly, chances are at some point you’ll want to upgrade from the rental skates to skates of your very own! While we perform regular maintenance on our rental skates, you will need to maintain your personal skates with some easy, simple care.
One way to keep your skates in peak condition for as long as possible is to clean them regularly. Even at an indoor rink, your skates will accumulate dust and dirt over time, so read on to learn how to clean your roller skates.
- Clean boots with saddle soap.
- Treat the inside of the skate boots with Silicone Shoe Saver to waterproof them and protect from perspiration.
- Buff outside of boots with liquid polish.
- Wash skate wheels in warm water with a mild soap (like dish soap) using an old rag or towel. Wipe off the grime from the outside surfaces and the inside of the wheel. If your skates have metal cores do not get them wet, as this will cause the metal to rust.
- Dry wheels thoroughly and lay on a towel to finish drying.
- Wipe away grime with a paper towel or rag.
- Disassemble bearings and place in a bearing washer or plastic bottle with bearing wash and shake thoroughly to clean.
- After cleaning and drying, don’t forget to lube your bearings for a nice, smooth roll!
Photo via Low Price Skates