If you are just now discovering the world of roller skating… Welcome! Roller skating might appear to be a difficult thing to conquer at first, but once you have a good foundation of skills, you’ll be well on your way to being a pro! You’ve seen the rink now, and the crowds of roller skaters having a great time. What’s next? And how do you get started? Interskate in Lewisville, Texas, has a checklist of things to get you started!
What will you need?
- Obviously, in order to roller skate, you need the skates. But since you are a first timer, some safety equipment is a great tool to have while you’re learning. Elbow pads, knee pads and a helmet will help keep you protected while you’re getting the hang of things.
- You’re all geared up, so now it’s time for the fun part! Before you start rolling around the rink, and doing tricks, you need to know the basics.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend you knees and squat slightly. This will give you a bit more spring, and aid your balance.
- Find a sweet spot with this general stance that you feel comfortable with.
- You’ve got the stance down, now let’s get moving!
- To start rolling around the rink, position your toes outward and your heels inward.
- Practice walking like this until you find your balance. You may fall a few times trying to get it just right, but that’s what the pads are for! After a while, you will gain more confidence and be well on your way.
- Start to move your feet more quickly, and take longer strides.
- Begin to push off harder with one foot while you glide on the other. Glide farther and farther distances
Look, you’re roller skating! It’s always a great idea to take someone with you that has previous experience to help get you up to speed.
It was announced in June that roller sports were among the eight contenders vying for a spot as a new event in the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics. This is exciting news considering ice skating has dominated the attention of fans for as long as many of us can remember. If you visit Interskate, in Lewisville, Tx, on a regular basis, you are no stranger to the world of roller skating, but the world of roller sports may be a little foreign to you. So, what is it? Roller sports are governed by the Federation Internationale de Roller Sports (FIRS), and include (but not limited to) roller hockey, roller figure skating, speed skating and roller derby.
In order to fully understand all that roller sports encompasses, we need to explore each of its disciplines.
What are these disciplines?
- Rink and inline hockey – This type of hockey follows many of the same ideas as ice hockey, just on roller skates.
- Roller figure skating – This is very similar to traditional figure skating on ice. It has the same premise; individuals, or teams, compete in a show of artistic dance and choreographed displays of skill. Judges then score you based on form, neatness and creativity.
- Speed skating – Like the name says, the name of the game here is to be the fastest skater.
- Roller derby – This is a contact sport in which two teams consisting of five members skate around a track in the same direction. Matches are won by having a designated “jammer” lap members of the other team. The other 4 members of each team attempt to hinder each others jammer in the process.