Photo Credit: Flickr Photo via Emily Mills
It’s not always easy to find something for the entire family to enjoy. While some members may be on board with a particular activity, it might not be enjoyable to others. It’s a difficult undertaking. We are here to tell that your search is over though! At Interskate, in Lewisville, Texas, we believe that roller skating is the perfect family event for everyone! Roller skating spans the board as far as well rounded activities go, and here is why.
- It’s Fun – In the most general terms, roller skating is a really fun activity! It is, of course, one of our favorites. Rolling around on a pair of skates as they hum below your feet on the wooden rink floor. There’s nothing better!
- Exercise – Believe it or not, roller skating a great way to get some exercise. As a matter of fact, roller skating is recommended by the American Heart Association as a great aerobic workout. Not only is your family having a great time, but it’s good for your health!
- Ageless – No matter your age, roller skating is a great source of fun for people of all ages!
- Food – We can’t think of anything much better than an evening spent in the rink while grabbing a slice and a soda. From food to fun, your whole evening is covered.
- Inexpensive – It can be expensive at time to take the whole family out for a fun evening. Roller skating is a very affordable source of entertainment for everyone. It’s rare to find an activity that is fun and won’t break the bank!
Ready to take your family to the rink now? Check out our hours and plan your next visit!
Photo Credit: Flickr Photo via Blue Mountain Local Studies
It is not a thought many of us have, but when our wheels hit that rink floor, more than two centuries of history and tinkering occurred to bring us to where we are today. It is difficult to imagine a world without roller skating, but there once was a time when the terms “roller rink” or “roller skating” meant nothing. Now, you may be a little curious as to how all of this got its start, and what influences happened along the way, but two centuries is a lot to sort through. Interskate, located in Lewisville, TX, has compiled a timeline of the pivotal moments in roller skating history to make it a little easier on you!
Roller Skating Timeline
- 1743: This is the first ever recorded account of anyone using anything like roller skates. These first skates were used in a London stage performance, and the inventor is unknown.
- 1760: The first roller skates are invented! Though the first account was in the stage performance, this is the first ever actual invention of what we know today. These skates were actually inline, believe it or not, and had small metal wheels. The inventor was John Joseph Merlin.
- 1819: First patented roller skate design, in France by M. Petitbled. These skates are more similar to what we know today. It was very difficult to maneuver in this early design, and was difficult to do much else but move in a straight line.
- 1857: Roller skating has finally gained enough popularity by this point and has warranted the opening of the first public rinks! They were held at The Strand in London and Floral Hall.
- 1863: The quad roller skate makes its first appearance. Designed by James Leonard Plimpton in New York City, this model of roller skate made it easier for the skater to turn.
- 1880: Roller skates are beginning to be mass produced in America, and is experiencing a boom in popularity.
- 1902: The Chicago Coliseum opens a public skating rink, and more than 7,000 people attend the grand opening.
- 1916: The first appearance of roller skates on the big screen is in the Charlie Chaplain film, “The Rink.”
- 1979: Scott Olson and Brennan Olson set out to redesign the skate by using a 1960’s inline skate design and using modern materials and an ice hockey boot. Scott Olson begins promoting the skate, and creates Rollerblade, Inc.
- Adjustments to the skates are made over the course of the next decades, and with a bit of tweaking and honing, we have arrived at what we have today!
If you are just now discovering the world of roller skating… Welcome! Roller skating might appear to be a difficult thing to conquer at first, but once you have a good foundation of skills, you’ll be well on your way to being a pro! You’ve seen the rink now, and the crowds of roller skaters having a great time. What’s next? And how do you get started? Interskate in Lewisville, Texas, has a checklist of things to get you started!
What will you need?
- Obviously, in order to roller skate, you need the skates. But since you are a first timer, some safety equipment is a great tool to have while you’re learning. Elbow pads, knee pads and a helmet will help keep you protected while you’re getting the hang of things.
- You’re all geared up, so now it’s time for the fun part! Before you start rolling around the rink, and doing tricks, you need to know the basics.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend you knees and squat slightly. This will give you a bit more spring, and aid your balance.
- Find a sweet spot with this general stance that you feel comfortable with.
- You’ve got the stance down, now let’s get moving!
- To start rolling around the rink, position your toes outward and your heels inward.
- Practice walking like this until you find your balance. You may fall a few times trying to get it just right, but that’s what the pads are for! After a while, you will gain more confidence and be well on your way.
- Start to move your feet more quickly, and take longer strides.
- Begin to push off harder with one foot while you glide on the other. Glide farther and farther distances
Look, you’re roller skating! It’s always a great idea to take someone with you that has previous experience to help get you up to speed.